listen to Goethe?
r***@gmail.com
2018-06-28 20:49:42 UTC
I expect there must be some English readers in this group, so -

I have heard that Goethe is "the German Shakespeare".
I don't speak deutsch, but I'd like to listen to his poetry,
just for the musicality. I also plan to read the text, while
listening, even without understanding.

Does this idea make sense, or pointless?

Can anyone suggest a Web site with audio files, by a trained actor?

Rich
Thomas Schade
2018-06-28 21:11:13 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
I expect there must be some English readers in this group, so -
I have heard that Goethe is "the German Shakespeare".
I don't speak deutsch, but I'd like to listen to his poetry,
just for the musicality. I also plan to read the text, while
listening, even without understanding.
Does this idea make sense, or pointless?
Can anyone suggest a Web site with audio files, by a trained actor?
Probably one of the best approaches to Goethe when it comes to listening
is the famous 'Faust' movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust_(1960_film)
https://gloria.tv/video/UkcUYJDMBRQ14ewaf7QXVd2wn

Cheers
Toscha
--
The old fortune teller lies dead on the floor
Nobody needs fortunes told anymore
[The Kinks: Death of a Clown]
Bertel Lund Hansen
2018-06-29 06:30:22 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
I have heard that Goethe is "the German Shakespeare".
I don't speak deutsch, but I'd like to listen to his poetry,
just for the musicality. I also plan to read the text, while
listening, even without understanding.
Does this idea make sense, or pointless?
It makes a lot of sense. If I hear a language that I do not
understand, I listen to the sounds and the melody.
/Bertel - aus Dänemark
Christian Weisgerber
2018-06-29 14:44:23 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
I expect there must be some English readers in this group, so -
I have heard that Goethe is "the German Shakespeare".
Goethe is much less present in German culture than Shakespeare is
in English-speaking countries. Goethe is something that you have
to sit through in school and then never encounter again.
Post by r***@gmail.com
I don't speak deutsch, but I'd like to listen to his poetry,
just for the musicality. I also plan to read the text, while
listening, even without understanding.
Does this idea make sense, or pointless?
If you're trying to learn German, it's supremely pointless. If you
want to enjoy art, no idea. Whatever floats your boat.
Post by r***@gmail.com
Can anyone suggest a Web site with audio files, by a trained actor?
YouTube.
A search for "goethe reading" immediately turns up a bunch of German
language readings among the English ones. That's better than "goethe
lesen", which produces nothing but Goethe Institute certifications.
You can probably get better results by searching for the titles of
specific works.
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
Jaakob Kind
2018-06-29 15:36:52 UTC
Post by Christian Weisgerber
You can probably get better results by searching for the titles of
specific works.
I tried it with the "Zauberlehrling" and got some useful links. There are
many versions. I do not like all of them, but this is a matter of taste.
Other titles would be the "Erlkönig" or the "Osterspaziergang"

Best regards,
Jaakob
r***@gmail.com
2018-07-05 16:56:26 UTC
Post by Jaakob Kind
Post by Christian Weisgerber
You can probably get better results by searching for the titles of
specific works.
I tried it with the "Zauberlehrling" and got some useful links. There are
many versions. I do not like all of them, but this is a matter of taste.
Other titles would be the "Erlkönig" or the "Osterspaziergang"
http://youtu.be/Xtfkg0MN1ts
Ja, gut!
Danke to all who responded.

I should explain the motivation. I live near a university
with an active music department, the students often perform
their recitals. Some are voice, they sing the classics of
Schubert and Brahms.

They print programs for the audience, including the
lyrics in German. I read while listening, with no
understanding, yet I find this enhances the appreciation
of the songs. Strange, but true. So I'd like to listen to Goethe.

They also print the English translations. While this
is informative, it adds nothing artistically.

--
Rich

Martin Gerdes
2018-06-30 11:40:00 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
I expect there must be some English readers in this group, so -
I have heard that Goethe is "the German Shakespeare".
Goethe is much less present in German culture than Shakespeare is
in English-speaking countries. Goethe is something that you have
to sit through in school and then never encounter again.
"Die Botschaft hör ich wohl
allein mir fehlt der Glaube."

I listened to what you said
but I don't believe it (not to say: I disagree).