State machine using function pointers
Stefan Ram
2017-08-01 17:05:36 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,de.etc.sprache.deutsch
Spaghetti goto laden resource leak prone error handling code
Is that a joke? If not, what is that German word?
»Error handling code« is an open compound.

In German, all such compounds have to be closed,
like *»errorhandlingcode«, or - in German -
"Fehlerbehandlungscode".

So the general idea is that a long English open compound
will become a single word in German.

However, I, and some others, prefer hyphens to separate
words from different languages. So I'd rather write
*"Fehlerbehandlungs-Code". But the required "Fugen-S" (the
»s« in front of the hyphen) now is not possible anymore
(with the hyphen; according to my own feel for the
language). So, I'd prefer some paraphrase such as »code for
error handling« "Code zur Fehlerbehandlung".

Very long words are usually avoided in German (just as in
English). Paraphrases are then often used. Very long words
occur sometimes as Jokes or as names of laws in German.
Reportedly, a long English word is
»pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis«.

However, only nouns and affixes can form compounds. »goto
laden« and »resource leak prone« are extended participles
(as I would call them right now) and will be separate words
even in German. So in German we'd have: "goto-beladener
ressourcenleckanfälliger Spaghetti-Code zur Fehlerbehandlung"
(manual translation by me), not a single word!

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,de.etc.sprache.deutsch
Stefan Ram
2017-08-02 04:16:47 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,alt.usage.english,de.etc.sprache.deutsch
Post by Stefan Ram
Spaghetti goto laden resource leak prone error handling code
Is that a joke? If not, what is that German word?
»Error handling code« is an open compound.
Ok, I must now say that I am not sure anymore whether
»error handling code« really is an open compound, that is,
a compound noun. It just might be a noun phrase. (Wikipedia
does not seem to be clear on the distinction to me.)

In now see that also »error handling« is an adjective,
a compound modifier of the form »noun + participle«.

Wikipedia clearly says:

»The following compound modifiers are /always/
hyphenated when they are not written as one word:

A noun, adjective, or adverb preceding a present
participle:

o "an awe-inspiring personality"
o "a long-lasting affair"
o "a far-reaching decision"«

Therefore, the correct English spelling should be:

»goto-laden resource-leak-prone error-handling spaghetti code«

, and I'd analyze that as a noun phrase made out of
three adjectives (which are compound modifiers of the
form noun + participle) and one final compound noun
the noun [from noun + participle] itself is a compound noun.)

A possible German translation now would be:

"goto-enthaltender und ressourcenleckanfälliger
Spaghetticode zur Fehlerbehandlung".

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,alt.usage.english,de.etc.sprache.deutsch
Stefan Ram
2017-08-02 04:35:36 UTC
Newsgroups: de.etc.sprache.deutsch
Post by Stefan Ram
In now see that also »error handling« is an adjective,
a compound modifier of the form »noun + participle«.
Im Deutschen wird etwas Ähnliches als
"Partizipialkonstruktion" bezeichnet:

Der /meinen Antrag bearbeitende/ Sachbearbeiter

. Im Englischen ist "error-handling" ein "compound
adjective", aber ich fand dafür keinen englischen Begriff,
der das Partizip würdigt.

Newsgroups: de.etc.sprache.deutsch